"The Hoo" Basketball Band
"The Hoo" is comprised of permanent members reflecting the set instrumentation, as well as numerous auditioned alternates to substitute as needed. Though this ensemble does not earn academic credit, performing members will receive a scholarship payment at the end of the season.
- Saxophone (3 Alto, 2 Tenor, 1 Bari)
- Trumpet (9)
- Mellophone (2)
- Trombone (6)
- Baritone (1)
- Sousaphone (2)
- Electric Bass (1)
- Drum Set (2)
KSU provides tenor and baritone saxophones, mellophones, baritones, sousaphones, and drum set, plus the amp for electric bass.
- The information below is for the concluded 2020-2021 season and is provided solely for reference. Details for 2021-2022 will be available in Fall 2021.
- A draft rehearsal and performance schedule for the 2020-2021 season is available here.
- Mandatory Rehearsals (Notify Dr. Scheivert of conflicts during your audition.)
- Mon Nov. 16, 7:30-9:30p
- Tue Jan. 12, 6:00-8:30p
- Wed Jan. 13, 6:00-8:30p
Members must be enrolled as KSU students in both Fall 2020 and Spring 2021.
SIGN UP HERE for an audition by Thursday, November 12, 2020!!
All wind and electric bass auditions will take place during the afternoons of Wed 11/11 (2:30-6:00pm) and Thu 11/12 (1:00-4:42pm) at 3305 Busbee Drive, entering through the west side of the building. There is plenty of parking as well as a BOB stop on the Busbee Drive/Stadium Route.
Audition materials and instructions for drum set auditionees are found below.
Wind & Electric Bass Audition Material
- Two (2) major scales (chosen from Concert F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, C, G), demonstrating your full range. Suggested tempo = 132-152 BPM.
- Chromatic scale, in sixteenth notes or triplets (performer’s choice), demonstrating your full range. Suggested tempo = 100-120 BPM.
- Sturgis’ March – Must be the parts provided below!
- All auditions will be scheduled at 6-minute intervals. Please be on time and warmed up before you enter the room! A designated warm up area will be provided.
Drum Set Audition Material
- Interested drum set players must register to audition using the link at the top of this page by Thursday, November 12, and select "M 16 Nov" as the audition time.
- All drum set auditionees will play with the live ensemble during the first rehearsal
on Mon 16 Nov (7:30p) and will be provided with lead sheets and recordings prior to this audition via e-mail.
Be prepared to play each of the following charts completely through:
- KSU Fight Song
- Sturgis’ March
Please email Dr. Scheivert, Assistant Director of Bands, for more information.