"The Hoo" Basketball Band
"The Hoo" is comprised of permanent members reflecting the set instrumentation, as well as numerous auditioned alternates to substitute as needed. Though this ensemble does not earn academic credit, performing members will receive a scholarship payment at the end of the season.
- Saxophone (3 Alto, 2 Tenor, 1 Bari)
- Trumpet (7)
- Mellophone (2)
- Trombone (6)
- Baritone (2)
- Sousaphone (3)
- Electric Bass (1)
- Drum Set (2)
KSU provides tenor and baritone saxophones, mellophones, baritones, sousaphones, and drum set, plus the amp for electric bass.
- A draft schedule for the 2019-2020 season is available here.
Members must be enrolled as KSU students in both Fall 2019 and Spring 2020.
The 2019-2020 Kennesaw State Basketball Band auditions are complete.
All wind and electric bass auditions will take place during the afternoons of Tue 10/8 and Wed 10/9 at 3305 Busbee Drive, entering through the west side of the building. There is plenty of parking as well as a BOB stop on the Busbee Drive/Stadium Route.
Audition materials and instructions for drum set auditionees are found below.
Wind & Electric Bass Audition Material
- Two (2) major scales (chosen from Concert F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, C, G), demonstrating your full range. Suggested tempo = 132-152 BPM.
- Chromatic scale, in sixteenth notes or triplets (performer’s choice), demonstrating your full range. Suggested tempo = 100-120 BPM.
- Sturgis’ March – Must be the parts provided below!
- All auditions will be scheduled at 6-minute intervals. Please be on time and warmed up before you enter the room! A designated warm up area will be provided.
Drumset Audition Material
- Interested drum set players must register to audition using the link at the top of this page by Wednesday, October 9, and select Drum Set Audition as the audition time.
- All drum set auditionees will play with the live ensemble during the first rehearsal
on Wed 23 Oct (6:00p) and will be provided with lead sheets and recordings prior to this audition via e-mail.
Be prepared to play each of the following charts completely through:
- KSU Fight Song
- Sturgis’ March
Please email Dr. Scheivert, Assistant Director of Bands, for more information.